Wednesday, July 25, 2012

protein

It's so hard to get enough protein in your diet when you don't eat meat.  I've probably been deficient for several weeks, if not longer.  I'm guessing I was probably deficient even when I was a meat eater.  It didn't even occur to me until I started getting the shakes just from stretching.  Yikes.  Then the recent ridges in my nails made sense.

This website I found is a great resource for info about protein.  Although, the calculation to determine the amount of daily protein intake differs from this site's.  The first site suggests between 27 and 53 more grams/day for me than the second site.  That's a pretty big difference.  I guess, with protein, it's better to error on the high side, but I hate getting my protein from supplements rather than whole food.

I try to eat a lot of quinoa, which has 18 gms/C, and beans, which have 7 gms per 1/2 C of kidney, but you can only eat so much quinoa and beans.

My roommate uses this whey protein.  I'm gonna check it out.  It has 24 gms of protein in a serving, which is a rounded scoop (30.4 gms – looks to be about 1/3 C.)

No comments:

Post a Comment