Thursday, August 2, 2012

intellectuals vs. freaks

“When I first began writing I felt that writing should go on I still do feel that it should go on but when I first began writing I was completely possessed by the necessity that writing should go on and if writing should go on what had colons and semi-colons to do with it, what had commas to do with it what had periods to do with it what had small letters and *capitals to do with it to do with writing going on which was at the time the most profound need I had in connection with writing.”
                (Gertrude Stein, Lectures In America, 1935)

I don’t know how Gertrude Stein could articulate such an observation, such a need, or how Stanely Fish (How To Write A Sentence) could interpret it without having dropped acid. Seriously.

Maybe that’s the difference between intellectuals and freaks.

*A woman after my own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment